Week 8- Friday, February 26th
This week has been a long week. It felt like it was taking forever but it also felt like I didn't have enough time to do what I needed to do. I give this week a 3 out of 5. I know that the past couple of weeks have gotten this rating and I'm ready for it to go up. I think that after submitting EdTPA, the stress will go down a little bit and my weeks will be better.
This week, I was able to work more on my EdTPA tasks. I still have things that I need to do like editing and revising but I am getting there. The lesson that my work experience taught me this week was to make a plan and stick to it. I'm not talking about lesson plans, but more so a plan for completing assignments and getting things done. I was going to devote a specific amount of time each day to a specific thing that I needed to get done this past week but it didn't exactly work out like that. Things come up and it can be hard to get everything done sometimes. My short-term efforts of teaching lessons that are aligned with the NCSCOS and completing my EdTPA are aligned with my long-term efforts of successfully completing student teaching and graduating, as well as passing EdTPA. I could have spent more time working on my EdTPA tasks this week instead of trying to perfect my lessons for each day. It is important that I pass EdTPA. Apprehension affected me a lot this week. I have been very anxious about the EdTPA tasks that I need to get done. The first logical steps for next week are to edit my EdTPA tasks to prepare them for submission and to teach my students.
This week, I had the opportunity to sit in on an IEP meeting. The specialist informed us of the student's progress and plans for the future. I also analyzed data from a STAR test that the students took. This tells me how the students have progressed in their reading skills. One piece of advice that I can share with my fellow student teachers is to continue to try your best. I know that this is similar to the advice that I gave last week but I feel that it is something that I need to hear. I feel like sometimes I am not good enough. But I am trying my best, and that's all that I can do.
NCTCS 1: This week, I was able to demonstrate leadership in the classroom by taking responsibility for the students' learning, empowering students, and establishing a safe environment.
NCTCS 2: This week, I was able to establish a respectful environment for a diverse group of learners by encouraging an environment that is respectful and supportive.
NCTCS 3: This week, I was able to know the content that I teach by aligning my lessons with the NCSCOS.
NCTCS 4: This week, I was able to facilitate learning for my students by using technology and engaging students.
NCTCS 5: This week, I was able to reflect on my practice by talking with my CE about lessons that I have taught as well as reflecting on myself.
I have completed my EdTPA tasks for the most part, but I need to edit and revise them. Currently, my CE and I do not need extra support from my supervisor.
Melissa, great post!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100%. This week has been long and exhausting. EdTPA is almost over, so that is a relief. I also got to sit in to IEP meetings as well. It was a good experience to see how those meetings work and what goes on within the meeting.
I think you are doing great and your best is good enough! Thanks for sharing.
Hey Melissa,
ReplyDeleteIt's really good to hear that you were able to sit in on an IEP meeting. I do not have any students with IEP's but I do have one with a 504 and it is so helpful to sit in on meeting and hear about how to benefit these students who have specific needs. It's good that you are coming along with edTPA tasks, that is super important.
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteYou have be involved in many important opportunities for growth this week, including attending at IEP meeting and analyzing student data. I always enjoy reading your weekly blog. Stay strong!!
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI completely understand! It is hard to have a schedule and stick to it with everything we have on our plates right now. But I know you can do it! Persistence is key to the weeks we're in right now. I am sure your ratings will go up as we submit edTPA and can place even more focus on our students. You're doing great and we have all come so far! I look forward to hearing about your week next week!