Week 7- Friday, February 19th
Another week has come and gone. I feel more overwhelmed right now than I have in this entire experience. Trying to get EdTPA done has been stressing me out. I want to do the best that I can but sometimes I feel like I'm rushing to get it done. I will give this week a 3 out of 5. I feel like I haven't looked up from my computer to take a moment for myself.
The accomplishment for this week was honestly successfully making it through the week. It has been so crazy! We did not have school yesterday due to the weather so that has thrown us off a little bit. It seems like this has been the week for kids to go crazy. However, I made it. My work has taught me to use every chance I get to work on what I need to do so that I don't have so much to do later. If I procrastinate or don't use my time wisely, I will become even more stressed. My work has also taught me that I never need to assume that a student knows something. I need to break things down as much as I can to ensure that they understand it. My short-term efforts are still aligned with my long-term goals because I am still working hard to complete lesson plans and EdTPA so that I can successfully complete student teaching and pass EdTPA. I could have spent more time at the beginning of the week working on lesson plans so that I have them completed earlier. Apprehension and indecision impacted what I did with Task 4 of EdTPA. I taught this a few weeks ago but was not pleased. I decided to change the topic and do a more recent learning segment. This will give me more data and will be better than the prior one that I completed but I still have a lot to do to complete everything involved in Task 4. The first logical steps that I need to take next week are to set aside time each day to polish my EdTPA tasks. If I dedicate so much time each day to a specific task, I feel like it will be a lot better by submission time. I also need to begin my lesson plans on Monday so I can get those out of the way sooner.
I analyzed data for my updated Task 4 which informed my instructional decisions for the re-engagement lesson. One piece of advice that I can share with other student teachers is to just do your best. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough and that I'm not meeting the expectations of people. But if I am doing my best, that's all I can do.
NCTCS 1: I was able to demonstrate leadership by using data to organize, plan, and set goals. I was also able to demonstrate leadership by empowering students. I did this by encouraging students to do their best in school so that they can graduate from high school. The students created timelines of their lives and accomplishments that they have made and will make.
NCTCS 2: I was able to establish a respectful environment for a diverse group of learners by incorporating different points of view in lessons (Martin Luther King lesson from the perspective of his sister, a teacher at one of the first schools to integrate), and engaging students.
NCTCS 3: I was able to know the content that I taught this week by teaching the North Carolina standard course of study.
NCTCS 4: I was able to facilitate learning for my students this week by engaging students in the learning.
NCTCS 5: I was able to reflect on my practice this week by reflecting on each day and having discussions with my clinical educator.
I have rough drafts of Tasks 1, 2, and 3. I am working on Task 4 of EdTPA now. At this time, my supervisor and I do not need extra support from my supervisor.
You sound like you had the same kind of week as I did! I went to work, taught, came home, worked on edTPA in that order, every day last week. We had an inclement weather day on Thursday but were required to work since it was designated an e-Learning day. Our district says that if the students are at school, we cannot take an annual leave day, not that I planned on it. I had too many things I needed to catch up on with work. There aren't enough hours in the school day to get everything finished and I had put some of my work on the back burner in the evenings to work on my Tasks. Hang in there. We have this!
ReplyDelete