Week 1- Friday, January 8th

     I can't believe it is already here! It feels like I just got started in the education department and now I am almost at the finish line. Deciding to change my major to elementary education was one of the best decisions I have made. I have so many emotions right now as I begin student teaching. I am mostly excited because I am getting to do one of the things that I love most. However; I am also very nervous. This first week was a nice start. I would rate it a 4 out of 5. I observed for the majority of the week as my clinical educator taught our students over zoom each day. I think my rating would have been a 5 if the students were in class. It is sad to not be able to see them in person but I am hopeful that they will be returning to school soon. The bright side of our students being virtual is that I was able to spend more time with my clinical educator. She was able to show me more resources, introduce me to staff, and answer any questions that I had for her. I appreciate the time that we had together this week. 

    I was able to receive more resources this week from my clinical educator. I think that this will be a great help to me throughout the semester. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my clinical educator managed to bring in another desk/table so that I could have my own space. I also feel that I am growing in my relationships with other staff members. This week was a good week to meet other teachers and staff because the students were virtual. I learned this week that even when the students are virtual and you may only do two zooms; there still doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. There is always something to be working on or planning. I also learned that I will definitely not be able to procrastinate this semester. To be successful, I will need to always be on task so that I can do my best and not rush through lesson plans or any other work that needs to be done. If I will keep my priorities straight and focus on what I need to focus on, I will be successful in the long run. To successfully complete my student teaching long-term goals; I will need to continue to use my time wisely, communicate well with my clinical educator, and search for resources that will help my students learn most effectively. I wish that I would have spent more time planning this past week. I did do some planning but I always seemed to get wrapped up in something else along the way. If I can set aside a certain amount of time each day to plan my lessons, I will be more successful. Luckily, our virtual and hybrid schedule allows me to have this time set aside. Sometimes I will find myself nervous to ask my clinical educator a question because I think it might make me sound not intelligent. I need to ask any and all questions that I can think of so that I can be successful and learn from my clinical educator. It is smarter to ask a question than to keep it to myself. The first steps that I will be taking next week are; successfully begin teaching the lessons that I am picking up and to plan every chance that I have. 

    I didn't have the opportunity to analyze much data this week, I know that I will have a lot more in the coming weeks. However; I did have the opportunity to hear from the person who specializes in helping ELL students. We have gained a new student this semester who does not speak any English, which will be quite a challenge. The specialist has informed us of how this student likes to learn as well as what might help her the most. 

    Because our students are virtual and I haven't started teaching yet, I don't have many experiences to share within each standard of the NCPTS. However, I used those standards to help me plan for the coming weeks. For standard 1, I was able to demonstrate leadership by reaching out to my clinical educator for information and resources so that I could plan lessons that will be beneficial for the students. For standard 2, I was able to establish a respectful environment by working with my clinical educator and other staff members to plan and communicate. I was also able to gain the information that I need to plan lessons that promote this positive and respectful environment. For standard 3, I was able to know the content that I will be teaching when I was planning the lessons for next week. I was also able to ensure that my lessons are appropriate for these students. For standard 4, I was able to plan instruction that is appropriate for my students. I was also able to integrate technology into my lesson plans. For standard 5, I had conversations with my clinical educator to reflect on what is working and what needs work. This reflection with my clinical educator helps me to see from another perspective. 

    I am excited to begin this journey. I know that I have the tools that I need to be successful!

    

    

Comments

  1. I agree! Student teaching snuck up on us! I am glad you are getting to experience virtual learning even though I'm sure its hard. Getting the quality time with your Clinical Educator is definitely a plus though! I hope you can share some of the resources she provided you with us fellow student teachers. I enjoyed reading your NCTS connections because I like to see the range of examples we all have been giving in our blogs. When completing mine, I noticed that it was much easier than it has been to find examples to meet each standard. This growth is something I'm sure we will see excel over the course of the semester. I miss seeing you in class, but look forward to reading about your student teaching experiences!

    Best wishes,
    Sierra Latham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Congrats on a good week! I'm sorry to hear that you cannot physically be with your students. Do you know when or if you ever will have a face-to-face class? I commend you. It must be hard to teach kindergarten virtually.

    I'm glad to hear that your CE has been so kind to you and trying to give you your own space in the room!

    I agree with the section where you mention how imperative it is that you do not procrastinate and how planning will be the key to your success. One of my biggest issues has always been procrastination. I always wait until the last minute, because I always believe that I will have time to do something. However, student teaching has inspired me to get things done sooner, rather than later.

    Good luck with the rest of your semester!
    -Alli Seaman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that elementary education is the best major. I worked in banking for 19 years and I am so glad I took the plunge and went back to school for teaching. I love it! I agree with your post about not procrastinating. I am the worst to procrastinate. I have gotten better though. I wish you the best with your student teaching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5- Friday, February 5th

Week 6- Friday, February 12

Week 11- Friday, March 19th